DUNSTON HOUSE HISTORY
Dunston House was the original offices of the Sheepbridge Coal and Iron Co. on Dunston Lane. It is a Georgian style brick structure with a central portico, with turret, clock and weather vane above. The weather vane incorporates the date 1857. It comprises two storeys and a lower ground floor, with a later brick extension to the south. The extensive former Sheepbridge Works complex - which originally had the full range of iron manufacturing and engineering facilities remained largely in use until 1970. Iron working/engineering firms such as GKN and Sheepbridge Stokes Ltd. have occupied the site. Today it provides 1500 m2 of Office space to multiple businesses who provide a wide range of products and services.
Thomas Brown C.Eng F.Inst Mech Engs. Born 1907 Died 1978
Born of poor parents who were striving to bring up six children on £2 a week during and after the first World War, he knew what it was to be hungry, to be without adequate clothing. His mother could neither read nor write and poverty was his spur, but from this background he became a well-known and talented automobile engineer, Managing Director and Deputy Chairman of the Sheepbridge Engineering Company based in Dunston House and Chairman of its 15 subsidiary companies.
This 1963 painting of Thomas Brown, was painted by Kingsley Sutton and hangs in our reception next to an aerial photograph of the sheepbridge steel works, dated 1951. With grateful thanks to his son Roger Brown, who brought his father's painting back home.